Saturday, 18 July 2009

From Celtic Park To Showpark

Alloa Athletic v Petershill
Friendly, Tommy McGrane Cup, Semi-Final
Saturday 18th July 2009, kick-off 3.30pm
Showpark, East Kilbride

The second match of the Tommy McGrane Cup was welcomed by a downpour of rain. A similar crowd to the previous match of around one-hundred, mostly under the sheltered stand, was there to see the Wasps take on Peasy. Allan Maitland had brought a full-strength team and was hopeful of continuing a good pre-season that has already seen his side win the Keyline Cup up in Oban. A few familiar faces in both sides, with ex-Spiders Adam Coakley playing as a trialist upfront for the Wasps and Michael Keenan in the Peasy midfield. Petershill also had ex-Stranraer defender James McKinstry in their line-up, there tends to be some form of 'entertainment' when he's around.

Alloa started the better of the two sides in the tricky conditions and it wasn't long until they took the lead. Adam Coakley swivelled and hit a half volley into the bottom corner, something he didn't do enough of for my liking in a Queen's jersey, although he did score against Celtic in the Scottish Cup. From Celtic Park to Showpark, very different surroundings. Peasy began to grow into the half as it progressed and were awarded a penalty after a handball in the box, which was converted (below) to level the scores at one apiece. It remained that way into the half-time interval and the cheerleaders were out again to entertain us.

The second-half started and a female fan behind me opted to use a bin as a seat, prepared with her snacks she made herself at home, judging by her appearance it may have been, nonetheless it was bizarre. Wasps assistant James Ward continued as he did last season with his constant bickering at the officials, I'm convinced that this man eats, drinks and dreams about fouls. Thankfully the referee gave as good as he was receiving and said he'd start booking players if that's what he wanted, but there was no need in a friendly game, it was all physical yet fair.

The Wasps were beginning to pin the Peasy defence back and were finally rewarded, the ball was cut back to Hugh Kerr who took a touch and volleyed in. He was to become to man of the moment when he doubled their lead minutes later, Scott Agnew's drilled effort was cleared off the line by James McKinstry but Kerr followed up finding the bottom right corner. Further misery for Peasy and McKinstry soon followed in the final minute as he was caught in possession. Brian Carrigan was played through on goal, his first scuffed effort was saved but he coolly volleyed in at the second attempt.

That was to be the final action of the game and helped confirm the fixtures for the following day. Petershill and Ayr United U19s will now go head-to-head at noon with the final between hosts East Kilbride Thistle and Alloa Athletic kicking off at half three. Unfortunately I couldn't make it along to St. Andrews for Queen's Park's friendly with Arbroath, which finished 1-1 (report on Un-official website), but I enjoyed the festival of football at the Showpark ground. A few photo's can be found here and a youtube link to the penalty video. The Alloa Athletic website also has a small report with photos.

Result: Alloa Athletic 4-1 Petershill

Alloa Athletic: unknown
Petershill: unknown

Alloa Athletic: Adam Coakley, Hugh Kerr (2) and Brian Carrigan
Petershill: unknown (pen)

Attendance: unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment