Sunday, 19 July 2009

Third 'Keeper Lucky

Petershill v Ayr United U19s
Friendly, Tommy McGrane Cup, Third Place Play-Off
Sunday 19th July 2009, kick-off 12pm
Showpark, East Kilbride

I returned to Showpark for the second day on the trot to view the losers affair between Petershill and the Ayr United youngsters. The Peasy lost out 4-1 to a strong Alloa Athletic side in a physical encounter whilst the young Honest Men were taught a lesson by the EK Jags, losing out 3-0 in wet conditions. Up for grabs this early afternoon was a third placed finish and the dreaded wooden spoon in the Tommy McGrane Cup. Inflation was rife as I went for the same hot-dog and Irn-Bru combination from the previous day, £2.50 yesterday, now £3! Confused? I was. Not to worry though, you could get an alcoholic beverage from the club bar, even before 12.30pm on a Sunday!

Hot-dog and Bru in hand the match began and the youngsters were taking the game to their senior opposition. Both sides had made several changes from the day before with the Peasy fielding several trialists, one of which was ex-Queen's 'keeper Scott Murray. Unfortunately for him it was to be a short outing ending with him being stretchered off injured. He raced out to close down Jonathan Tiffoney and managed to force him wide, then went over in a heap. Similar to the incident in an Everton v West Ham United game when Paulo Di Canio caught the ball because the goalkeeper being down injured, instead of heading into the open goal, although in this instance young Tiffoney played on and hit the crossbar. Off went Murray and without a substitute 'keeper the Peasy played a member of their coaching staff between the sticks.

Half-time came, and the cheerleaders were on yet again but sadly, or thankfully, their routine was cut short as the players were out early to continue the action. Another change in goals for Peasy, a strange one, substitute Ayr United U19s goalie who played in yesterdays match had changed allegiance. The deadlock was finally broken by the dodgy haired sub left-back for Petershill, he headed in from barely a yard after a corner kick. The lead didn't last long as the kids his straight back, a strong run by their no.9 who out muscled the Peasy defender and beat the (should that be, his own?) 'keeper.

The floodgates had finally opened, thankfully not in the weather sense this time, as a lofted ball over the Honest Men's defence fell to the Peasy frontman who hooked the ball into the right corner to restore their lead. Credit to the youngsters who didn't drop their heads, a few substitutes then they got what they deserved. A whipped in free-kick saw their goalscorer hit the upright with a close range header, it then fell kindly to their ginger haired central midfielder who tapped in the open goal. The match finished two apiece and the wooden spoon would be settled by a penalty shoot-out. Which Ayr 'keeper would be the hero?

A bizarre scenario then, Peasy converted their first penalty then it was a save each. Penalties were converted up until the sudden-death stage, then one more each. Peasy converted again, then finally the Ayr sub 'keeper tipped one round the post to win the tie for Peasy. The full shoot-out can be viewed below. Petershill will now continue their preparations for their Super Premier League campaign and the Ayr kids will have learnt a lot ahead of another season a youth level.

My photos from the weekend can be found here, and the YouTube video of the penalty shoot-out here.

Result: Petershill 2-2 Ayr United U19s, Petershill won 6-5 on penalties

Petershill: unknown
Ayr United U19s: unknown

Petershill: unknown
Ayr United U19s: unknown

Attendance: unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment