Wednesday 3 June 2009

One Hundred And Counting

I popped down the road to Hampden Park for a Wednesday evening match between Queen's Park and a Scottish Amateur Select side to celebrate the centenary year of amateur football in this country. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a free programme and to see the Queen's were fielding a strong side consisting of players already signed up for next season, including new signing, Chris Hamilton from Stirling Albion.

Hampden can be quite strange for Queen's games with crowds in the hundreds instead of thousands, the atmosphere can be a bit morgue like, but tonight wasn't about atmosphere, it was about enjoying to sides celebrating playing the gentleman's game in a friendly manner. 'Ludere causa ludendi', Latin for 'to play for the sake of playing' is the motto of Queen's Park, which sums up the spirit of this game.

The Select were fielding ex-Queen's player Tommy Murray, nice to see the pint-sized midfielder strutting his stuff on the Hampden turf yet again, he now plays for Drumchapel United. The match wasn't the best but both teams were playing it on the deck on a beautiful surface and going easy on the tackles. Winger Ryan Holms netted the only goal of the contest for Queen's, from close range after the 'keeper had made a good save.

At the final whistle awards were made and the winning side climbed the Hampden steps to collect their winners medals, I'll be hoping I see more of that next season! On exiting the ground free pies were on offer, I couldn't refuse, it would be rude not to. So a successful evening, a polite game of football, a free programme, a few cheeky free pies and my admission fee going to charity.

Full Time – Queen's Park 1-0 SAFA Select

Currently unsure of what my next match will be but I'm sure I'll find one soon as I need my football fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment